(Norwalk, Conn.) Today, February 24, 2023, the City of Norwalk announced the schedule for its 2023 Bulky Waste Collection Program. The collection program is available to residents within the 4th Taxing District who receive garbage and recycling services from the City of Norwalk.
The 4th Taxing District has been divided into four zones for designated collection dates. The first collection is Wednesday, March 8, 2023, for residents in Zone 1. Residents can learn their designated zone by visiting the City’s map here.
Further information about each zone and corresponding collection dates:
- Zone 1/ dark green area via the map includes residents who live north of Route 15 (Merritt Parkway) and east of route 7, between Route 15 and Route 1.
- *Bulky Waste Collection dates are scheduled for March 8 and July 12, 2023.
- Zone 2/ light green area via the map includesresidents who live southeast of Route 1 and East Norwalk residents.
- *Bulky Waste Collection dates are scheduled for April 19, 2023, and August 9, 2023.
- Zone 3/ yellow area via the map includesresidents who live south of I-95 and west of the Norwalk River. It also includes South Norwalk residents.
- *Bulky Waste Collection dates are scheduled for May 17 and September 13, 2023.
- Zone 4 / red area via the map includesresidents who live west of Route 7 and between Route 15 and I-95.
- *Bulky Waste Collection dates are scheduled for June 7 and October 18, 2023.
To request bulky waste collection, residents can fill out this form or contact the City’s Customer Service at (203) 854-3200 or firstname.lastname@example.org before their scheduled collection dates. Requests can be made until 4:30 PM on the Monday before a resident’s scheduled collection date. Residents must be prepared to identify the items they are placing at the curb for collection in advance.
Below is the list of acceptable and unacceptable items and program guidelines:
- Furniture (such as couches, chairs, bookcases, etc.)
- Rolled rugs/carpets (no more than four feet wide)
- Metal items
- Metal appliances- washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, etc. (CANNOT contain freon)
- Large plastic items- children’s toys, outdoor chairs, etc.
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Liquid waste (paint) etc.
- Vehicles and motor parts or anything with a title of ownership, such as motorcycles, trailers, etc.
- Yard waste
- Construction and remodeling debris, such as concrete, sheetrock, masonry, toilets, sinks, shingles, pipes, furnaces, fiberglass, etc.
- Single-stream recycling
- Clothing or textiles
- Electronics (televisions, computers, speakers, etc.)
- Freon appliances- air conditioners, refrigerators, dehumidifiers, etc.
GENERAL INFORMATION AND GUIDELINES
- Collection will be of large items, such as furniture, metal, and hard plastic items. Bags and boxes of small items will not be collected.
- Bulky collection is offered to residents who live in the 4th Taxing District, receive both garbage and recycling collection (not just recycling), and for properties that do not exceed four units. For example, it is not available for apartment buildings or condominiums.
- Collection is not available in commercial locations.
- Different trucks will collect different materials – bulky items, metal items, and hard plastic items.
- Items must be neat, orderly and placed curbside before 7:00 AM on their scheduled collection day.
- Items should not be placed curbside more than 48 hours prior to the scheduled collection time.
- Items should not be placed on or near a mailbox, fence, or utility pole and should not block sidewalks or streets.
- Bulky items will only be collected from the residence where it is generated.
- Do not place bulky items on a neighbor’s curbside pile – this is considered illegal dumping.
- Do not put out cardboard boxes for collection, either empty or filled with bulky items. The bulky item pile will be stickered, or a door hanger will be placed at the residence.
- Please place like-items together—for example – place metal items together and hard plastic items together, etc.
- If your bulky item was missed, please call or email our Customer Service Center on the following day of your scheduled collection day.
- If you fill out the form but do not meet the eligibility criteria, we will not pick up your bulky items.
For more information on the Bulky Waste Collection Program, please visit www.norwalkct.org or contact the Customer Service Center at (203) 854-3200 or CustomerService@norwalkct.org.