Updated March 13, 2020, 1:35 pm
The Norwalk Health Department continues to closely monitor and respond to the outbreak of respiratory illness caused by COVID-19 (novel Coronavirus, 2019). The Health Department has also set up a COVID-19 Information page, where we will share information with the public about this rapidly changing situation.
The Health Department and City officials are encouraging our residents to help minimize the spread of COVID-19 by practicing social distancing (e.g., cancelling large gatherings/meetings, working remotely when possible, and eliminating any unnecessary close contact with people). As a result, the Health Department is announcing the following changes to its schedule and services to enable us to provide essential services to the community and dedicate necessary resources to our COVID-19 response.
Hours and Appointments:
Beginning Monday, March 16, the Health Department building will be open to the public from 9 am to 2 pm, by appointment only, until further notice. We are operating essential services, but we are not taking walk-ins for any of our services at this time. If you feel ill, call your healthcare provider for guidance. Do not come to the Health Department.
The following schedule/procedure changes apply to our services:
- WIC: WIC services will be provided remotely beginning Monday, March 16, 2020. No participants will be seen in the office. All participants are being asked to phone (203) 854-7885 or email staff at NHDWIC@norwalkct.org.
- Environmental and Housing Services: For requests about septic plans, permit and license applications, information about a property, housing complaints, or other environmental health questions, please call for information and/or to make an appointment (203) 854-7776. We are not taking walk-ins for these services at this time.
- PPD Skin Tests: On-site scheduled PPD screening is on hold until further notice.
- Vaccine Clinics: We are not scheduling new appointments for immunizations (childhood, travel and adult) at this time.
- Sexual Health Clinics: The hours of the Sexual Health Clinic have been reduced. We will not hold Wednesday afternoon clinics until further notice. We will still hold clinics on Monday and Friday mornings, but only by appointment. HIV/HCV rapid testing will be offered only with scheduled STD testing. Call 203-854-7776 to make an appointment. We are not taking walk-ins for these services at this time.
We ask that Norwalkers stay informed through reputable news sources, including the CT Department of Public Health and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In addition, you can take steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Practice social distancing (e.g., cancel large gatherings/meetings, work remotely when possible, limit the number of people with whom you come into close contact)
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. (Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, if soap and water are not available.)
- Avoid contact with affected patients.
- Stay home from work and school when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze into your elbow, throw tissues away and wash your hands immediately.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
For more information: