Updated February 26, 2020.
The Norwalk Health Department continues to closely monitor the outbreak of respiratory illness caused by COVID-19 (novel Coronavirus, 2019).
Currently, the risk of infection in our area is low.
The Health Department will continue to work with partners at the local, state, and federal levels to stay updated on this situation, and we participate in robust Public Health Emergency Preparedness activities in our region to share information, develop response plans, and exercise for emergencies such as disease outbreaks. We are prepared to work side-by-side with our partners at the CT Department of Public Health should COVID-19 impact our City.
Right now, we ask that Norwalkers stay informed through reputable news sources, including the CT Department of Public Health and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Health Department has also set up a COVID-19 Information page where we will share information. In addition, you can take steps to prevent the spread of all infectious diseases, including the flu, which is active throughout the state right now:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. (Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, if soap and water are not available.)
- Avoid contact with affected patients.
- Stay home from work and school when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze into your elbow, throw tissues away and wash your hands immediately.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
For more information: