Health officials urge everyone to dispose of your unused or unwanted medication and medical waste safely and responsibly. Proper disposal helps prevent misuse and injuries, and it helps protect the environment. The Health Department does not
accept medicines, needles/sharps, or other medical waste at our office.
However, these tips and resources can help you dispose of your medical waste properly.
- Use a special a pill disposal bag, available for free at the Norwalk Health Department (137 East Avenue) during normal business hours (Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm), while supplies last.
- Drop off medications at the Norwalk Police Department Drug Drop Off Box at the station (1 Monroe Street).
- Follow these other tips from the CT Department of Energy and Environmental Protection or the US Food and Drug Administration.
- Use expired medications or give them to other people.
- Flush prescription or over-the-counter medicines down your sink or toilet.
- Throw loose sharps/syringes in your household trash.
- Recycle your sharps/syringes.