Additional Exemption Programs

Veteran's Exemptions - Filing deadline - September 30 for the next Grand List

A veteran may file for an assessment exemption off of his home or motor vehicle. The basic exemption amount is $6,000 off of your home or motor vehicle assessment. To qualify the veteran must bring a copy of their original or certified copy of his honorable discharge (DD-214 form - long form) to the Assessor's office for review of dates served to see if qualified to receive such exemption. The honorable discharge (DD-214 form - long form) must then be filed on record with the Town Clerk's office. Upon confirmation of filing, and ownership of a home or motor vehicle as of the October 1st following the date recorded in the Town Clerk's office, the Assessor's office will apply the exemption to the property owned by the Veteran. Please contact this office for more information at 203-854-7816.

Additionally, any veteran who is deemed by the United States Veterans' Administration to have suffered a disability of at least 10%, may file that disability rating slip from the Veterans' Administration with the Assessor's office, as long as their honorable discharge (DD-214) was filed in the Town Clerks office, and receive an additional amount of assessment exemptions. Veterans' Administration - link to website.

Active Duty Serviceman's Motor Vehicle Exemption

A Connecticut resident who is a member of the armed forces of the United States (including a member of the reserves or the Connecticut National Guard) on the assessment date is eligible for the total exemption of one motor vehicle, pursuant to CSGS 12-81(53). The vehicle must be registered in Connecticut. It may be owned or leased by the service member. It may be located in Connecticut or outside of the state. A yearly application must be filed with the Assessor's office by December 31st following the issued tax bill. Click here to print the application.

Additional benefits are available to disabled veterans with certification from the Veterans Administration.

Additionally, non-Connecticut residents whose vehicle is garaged in this state due to military orders, is entitled to an exemption under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA). Application for a motor vehicle or a mobile manufactured home must be made in the form of an affidavit. Print Affidavit for Exemption.

Garbage Exemption

Any qualified residential condominium or residential cooperative unity, as defined by chapter 828 of the Connecticut General Statutes, or single-family residence located on a private road within the fourth taxing district may apply for an exemption from that portion of the mill rate attributable to garbage collection. Garbage exemption applications must be completed on or before the April 15 prior to the fiscal year in which the exemption can be granted. Download application: Garbage Exemption Application

Tax Freeze

The State of Connecticut Tax Freeze Program stopped accepting applications in 1979. For all practical purposes, a freezing of taxes no longer exists. The only exception to this are those people who were on the program prior to 1979 and have continued to maintain their eligibility based upon income ever since. As such, the tax freeze has been overtaken by the State of Connecticut's Circuit Breaker Program.

Contact Us

For further information concerning any of the above exemption programs or services, please contact the tax assessor's office at (203) 854-7816 for additional filing requirements.