How to Register


Initial Registration

You can register online by going to

You can also register by filling out a voter registration form. These must be filled out, signed, and handed in or mailed to the Registrar's office before the election. Voter registration cards are official legal documents and must be personally signed in ink.

Blank forms are available in the Registrars’ office (Room 122) or the Town Clerk's office (Room 102), both located at:
Norwalk City Hall
125 East Ave.
Norwalk, CT 06856

You may also download a registration form, complete it, sign it, and mail it to the Registrars’ office. Forms are also sent out by the Department of Motor Vehicles to persons renewing their driver’s license, and are available at any Department of Motor Vehicles office and at social services agencies. Spanish language forms are also available.

When your application is accepted, the Registrars will send a notice confirming your address and informing you where you vote in the next general election.

Deadlines for New Registrations

  • Primary Elections: The deadline is five days before a primary election by mail, or by noon, the day before, in person. Your application must be postmarked by the fifth day before a primary or received by the Registrar of Voters' office or a voter registration agency by the fifth day before the primary. You may apply in person at the Registrars’ office or at the Town Clerk’s office by noon on the last business day before a primary.
  • General Elections: The deadline is seven days before a general election, by mail, on line, or in person. Your application must be postmarked by the seventh day before a Election Day or received by the Registrar of Voters' office or a voter registration agency by the seventh day before a Election Day. You may apply in person at the Registrars’ office or at the Town Clerk’s office.
  • Election Day Registration: Connecticut now allows for Election Day Registration (EDR), so if you have not registered to vote in Norwalk by the cut-off date, it is still possible to come into City Hall on Election Day — between 6:00 A.M. and 8:00 P.M. and vote. Persons wishing to do so must have a valid I.D. and with current proof of Norwalk residency (30 days or less). There is no Election Day Registration at regular polling places, or for primaries.

What if I Move?

Moving Out of Norwalk

If you move out of Norwalk, you lose your voting rights in Norwalk, and you must register in your new town or state in order to vote there. When you register in your new Connecticut town, we get a notice via the statewide voter registration system. If you register to vote in another state we usually receive a notice from your new state. In addition, the Registrars’ office receives change of address information from the post office each year and on line from the Department of Motor Vehicles.

If you later return and re-establish a Norwalk residence, you must register in Norwalk again.

Moving to Another Part of Norwalk

If you move to a different address within Norwalk you do not lose your Norwalk voting rights. Prior to Election Day you should fill out a new registration card and check the address change box in order to be registered at your new address. However, if you have not done this, you may go to the polling place for your new residence on Election Day and fill out a new registration card. The election officials will check to see that you have not voted at your old address, and you will be given a ballot for your new address. This means that it will take you more time to vote on Election Day than normal.

If Your Move is Temporary

If your move was only temporary - such as for college or military service - you do not lose your voting rights in Norwalk unless you register to vote somewhere else. In order to vote, you need to return to Norwalk on Election Day or vote by absentee ballot.

If You Move Out of the Country

If you move temporarily to another country you also retain voting rights in Norwalk. You should vote by absentee ballot or by an overseas ballot.

Change of Name

If your name has changed because of marriage or divorce, if we have entered it incorrectly, or if you simply want to change the way your name is listed, you should fill out the voter registration application below and check the box for “Name Change.”

Enrolling in a Political Party

You may register to be affiliated with a political party when you register to vote, but you are not required to do so. If you do not pick a party, you are considered unaffiliated. If you specify "Independent,” you are actually enrolled with the Independent Party.

You can pick a party, or change your mind and pick a different party at any time by filling out a New Voter Registration Form.

If you are switching between parties, you must do so 90 days prior to a primary, in order to vote in your new party’s primary. If you are switching from unaffiliated to a party, you must do so by mail, or in person by noon on the day before the primary, in order to vote in your new party’s primary.

Party enrollment is only necessary in order to vote in your party’s primary election, if one is held. Regardless of your party affiliation, you may vote for the candidate(s) of your choice in the general election.

New (Young) Voter Registration

You must be 18 years old to vote. You may register to vote when you are 17 years old, so long as you will be 18 on or before election day. Your application will be accepted and processed in the normal manner, and you will automatically be given active voter status on your birthday.

Additional Resources

Registration Form (English)
Registration Form (Spanish)