Zoning Permits

Work that requires a Zoning Permit includes, but is not limited to:

  • Accessory structures, such as sheds, swimming pools, HVAC equipment
  • Interior or exterior modifications to your home, including the construction of decks, additions, & garages
  • Use of your home for a private business or "home occupation"
  • Commercial tenant fit-ups or changes, signage, and expansions 
  • Certain work within the flood hazard zone

For driveway permits, please start with this application form and submit the form to DPW

application form graphic Opens in new window

Click below on Zoning Permit application form(s):

application form graphic Opens in new window

Single-Family or Two-Family projects

application form graphic Opens in new window

Multi-Family, Mixed Use or Commercial projects

application form graphic Opens in new window

All projects with excavation, grading or ground disturbance

application form graphic Opens in new window

All projects within the Flood Hazard Zone Overlay

You must provide sufficient detailed and accurate information to submit an application for Zoning Permit. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

  • Applicants should fill out only the top portions on the form.  Applicant AND property owner must sign the application.  Zoning Staff will fill out the rest of the form during review of your project.  
  • In addition to the application form, you will need to submit plans that adequately depict your project.  At a minimum, you must provide THREE (3) COPIES of:

 ☐ Site plan indicating the location of the proposed work relative to the property lines. This plan must be drawn at a standard scale and be legible.

☐ Plans (architectural, construction, or floor) indicating the current and proposed conditions. This plan must be dimensionally accurate and legible.

  • Depending on the nature of your project, you may need to provide further detailed plans and/or a land survey.  Please note, properties in a flood zone require additional documentation.  
  • Submitting your application:
    • Hard copies of plan sets and your completed application form must be either dropped off at the P&Z office at Room 129 City Hall, between 8:30AM and 4:00PM Monday through Friday or mailed to: Planning & Zoning, Rm. 129, City of Norwalk, PO Box 5125, Norwalk, CT 06856-5125.  
    • We will need three (3) paper copies of your plans and three (1) copy of the completed application form. 

    • The application fee will be collected once the application is complete and the permit is ready to be issued.  We accept payment by credit or debit card only. 
  • Your Zoning Permit will be internally circulated to receive Conservation/Wetlands review and then you will be contacted by phone and advised you may pick up your Zoning/Conservation approvals. You will then need to visit the Building Department to begin Building permit review.

Additional materials may be needed prior to the issuance of your Building Permit.  Please refer to the Building Permit procedure below:

Does my project require a Zoning Permit?

An approved Zoning Permit is required in advance of applying for a Building Permit. Some activities, such as the construction of a small shed, are exempt from Building Permits, but still require a Zoning Permit. To learn more about the fees associated with a Zoning Permit, click here.

Many home improvements such as re-paving, window, siding and roofing replacement, and cabinet replacement do not need zoning approval, but may need approval from other agencies. In these instances, the Zoning Office may still need to review the plans to confirm they are exempt from Zoning permitting.