Pay by Mail
When paying your tax bills by mail, please:
- Write your list number(s) on the back of your check or money order
- Make the check or money order payable to "Tax Collector, City of Norwalk"
- Mail your payment to: Tax Collector, City of Norwalk 125 East Avenue Norwalk CT 06851
- The last day to pay without interest was Wednesday, February 1, 2023. We accepted a postmark of February 1, 2023 or prior for timely payment.
If your payment arrives postmarked February 1, 2023 or before, it is considered ON TIME, regardless of when we receive it.
- If your payment arrives after February 1, and is postmarked after February 1, or if it has no postmark at all, and arrives after February 1, it is late. This is state law.
- There has been an increasing amount of MAIL FRAUD in recent months. If you are paying ANY BILL (including your tax bill) with a check, the US Postal Service recommends you NOT leave your payment in your own personal mailbox for pick up, because it can be STOLEN and tampered with. The US Postal Service recommends payments containing checks should be deposited in a mailbox INSIDE the post office.
- You may wish to pay by Electronic Check (E Check) to avoid this risk. More information on this website, and on your tax bill.
If you are paying late, interest is charged at the rate of 1.5% per month, from the due date. There are no exceptions.
A portion of a month is considered the equivalent of a month. Interest is not charged per diem (by day). There also may be other collection fees involved. Additional motor vehicle collection fees, and lien fees on real estate accounts may accrue depending on when you pay. Please call ahead, or check online to see what you owe.
Warning about electronic bill payment / telephone bill pay services: These services may not mail your payment when you expect them to! You assume the risk of your payment arriving late if you choose to use these services. These payments come to us without a postmark, and because of this, they must be RECEIVED BY US before the last day to pay (on or before August 1, 2023) in order to be considered timely. Normally, the postmark controls, but if there is no postmark, timeliness depends solely upon our receipt of the payment.
Please read the instructions and warnings provided by your own bank before using any 'pay by phone' or electronic bill payment service. Many service providers specifically advise NOT to use the service for tax payments for the reasons given. If you chose to use one of these services. we suggest your transaction should have been processed before July 16, 2023, to attempt to ensure your payment reaches us by the August 1, 2023 deadline.
Receipts & Important DatesFor return of receipts, enclose the entire lower portion of your bill (both coupons) and a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your tax payment. We will not return a receipt to you if you do not include a self addressed stamped envelope.
Tax rates for taxes due in July 2022 were set on Monday, May 2, 2022. The assessment date (grand list) for these taxes was October 1, 2021. The taxes were due on July 1, 2022 (first installment), and January 1, 2023 (second installment). Tax rates for taxes due in July 2023 and January 2024 will be set on Monday, May 1, 2023.
If you are unsure as to the amount you currently owe, please use our e-tax bill look-up or contact the Tax Collector's Office at:
For More Information
Ph: (203) 854-7731
Fax: (203) 854-7770