Additional Trade Registration Guidelines

Corporations / LLCs

If your business is a corporation or a Limited Liability Company (LLC), you must file with the Connecticut Secretary of State prior to filing your trade name in Norwalk. You can contact the office at (860) 509-6200 or (800) 540-3764 for more information.

The Secretary of State's website also offers various online information helpful to those considering opening a new business.

Tax Identification Numbers

Contact the Internal Revenue Service for a federal ID number and to obtain necessary forms. Call (800) 829-1040 for more information or to obtain a free CD on help for new business owners.

For a Connecticut tax ID number, contact the Department of Revenue Services at (800) 382-9463 for forms and information.


Contractors must register with the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection (DCP). Public Act 94-68 authorizes the DCP commissioner to impose civil penalties ranging up to $1500 per violation.

Contact the DCP at (860) 566-3290 or (800) 842-2649 for an application or for more information on DCP licensing.

For More Information

For more information about trade name registration, please contact the Town Clerk's office at (203) 854-7747.