- City Government
- Public Works
- Solid Waste, Recycling & Yard Waste
- Yard Waste Collection
Yard Waste Collection
YARD WASTE COLLECTION
Residents of the 4th Taxing District that receive City garbage collection are entitled to receive City Yard Waste Collection.
Residents are asked to have their Christmas Trees and Yard Waste curbside before 6:00 am on the Monday of their scheduled collection week.
Yard Waste Collection
The 2023 Yard Waste collection schedule is as follows:
Week of April 3: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday routes
Week of April 10: Thursday and Friday routes
Week of May 1: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday routes
Week of May 8: Thursday and Friday routes
Week of November 6: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday routes
Week of November 13: Thursday and Friday routes
Week of November 27: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday routes
Week of December 4: Thursday and Friday routes
Yard Waste Collection Guidelines
Leaves, brush and grass clippings are on Connecticut’s list of mandatory recycling items.
Please DO NOT mix these items with household garbage.
The City of Norwalk encourages all residents to compost at home and mulch your grass clippings into your lawn.
The Yard Waste Collection guidelines are as follows:
- Yard Waste must be curbside by 6:00 am on the Monday of your collection week, listed above.
- Leaves will be collected ONLY in brown leaf bags, garbage cans with no lids, or open-top cardboard boxes.
- Brush must be less than 4-feet in length and 6-inches or less in diameter. It must be tied up in bundles, no heavier than 50 pounds or in garbage cans with no lids.
- Plastic or garbage bags of debris, loose piles of brush and leaves, rocks, soil, and sand will NOT be collected.
- There is a 25 pound weight limit for leaf bags and a 50 pound weight limit for cans. Please do not overload bags or cans.
- Logs and stumps will not be collected. They can be brought to the Yard Waste Site, with the proper permits.
- If you believe you were missed for a yard waste collection, please call Customer Service (203-854-3200) on the Monday after your collection week.
Christmas Tree Collection
**Since the 6th Taxing District is privately serviced, this pick-up schedule does not include those residents.
Christmas Trees will be collected citywide by plow route during the month of January 2023:
Use the following Christmas tree collection map to determine your plow route/ zone: Christmas tree collection map
- During the week of January 9, 2023, Routes 1-8/ Blue Zone on the Map will be collected. The Blue Zone on the map includes residents who live North of Connecticut Avenue and West of Route 7.
- During the week of January 16, 2023, Routes 17-26/ Red Zone on the Map will be collected. (Except for Monday, January 16, a holiday, MLK Jr. Day.) The Red Zone on the map includes residents who live North of I-95 and East of Route 7.
- During the week of January 23, 2023, Routes 9-16/Yellow Zone on the Map will be collected. The Yellow Zone on the map includes residents who either live South of I-95 and/or South of Connecticut Avenue.
- Learn about Christmas tree disposal safety here
Please follow the following rules:
- Have trees curbside by 6:00 AM on the MONDAY of the above collection weeks.
- No Plastic Bags, Lights, Decorations or Stands will be collected.
- Holiday wreaths will not be collected - these are considered garbage due to the metal wire.
- 2023 Yard Waste Site Flyer
- 2023 Yardwaste Site Flyer-Spanish version
- 2023 Yardwaste Schedule Flyer
- 2023 Yardwaste Schedule Flyer- Spanish version
- Solid Waste Rules & Regulations