Initial Steps for New Recruits
Initial Steps to Becoming a Police Officer
Notice: Hiring is currently ongoing until positions have been filled.
Online application must be completed through www.policeapp.com.
- Determine whether you meet the department's minimum qualifications.
- Obtain a valid Complete Health and Injury Prevention (CHIP) Card by registering to take the Physical Ability Assessment online. Assessments may also be scheduled by calling (203) 235-5865. The current fee to take the assessment is $75. (May be waived for financial hardship. To apply for waiver contact CHIP direct). Connecticut Certified Officers may skip this step. Out-of-State Certified Officers and entry level applicants must complete this step.
- Take and pass the CPCA written exam: CT - Police Chiefs (policeapp.com)
- The current fee is $95. (May be waived for financial hardship. To apply for a waiver contact CPCA directly)
- If you do not pass the required written exam, you end your current application process.
- Apply to Norwalk Police Department through Policeapp.com: Norwalk, CT Police Jobs - Entry Level | PoliceApp
- Ct Certified officers apply through the following link:
- Take the Oral Board Interview. Notification will be made by mail / email based on department needs.
- If you do not pass the Oral Board Interview, your current application process is terminated. You may return to step two after a period of six months.
- Take the Oral Board interview. Notification will be made by mail / email based on the department needs.
- If you do not pass the Oral Board interview, your current applicant process is terminated. You may return to step two after a period of six months.
- Those passing this phase will be placed on an eligibility list. Placement on the list does not ensure that you will move on to the next phase.
- Those selected from the list will be invited to a Chiefs' Interview. Selection candidates from these interviews will be offered conditional offer of employment.
- Acceptance of the conditional offer of employment begins the formal background investigation process. Successful candidates can expect to go through the phases of becoming a Norwalk police officer.